Monday, April 23, 2007

More Beginnings

It's taken me a while to get back here, because I haven't worked out - yet - quite what this is ABOUT. Plus my attention has been diverted by so many other things, recently.

ONE of the things that this blog is about, is simply proving that i CAN do a blog - with reasonable writing, absence of spelling mistakes and typos, some actual content (of interest) at some point... (I hope!)...and so on.

The reason for that? I see blog jobs advertised, and I would really like to do this - if I had a REASON to do it. So, I feel that I could blog away to my heart's content, about WHATEVER I was required to write about, *IF* I was getting paid for it and thereby felt motivated by the thing I need (money!).

BUT if it is 'just' me, parading my thoughts in front of the world (hey! I know no-one's actually reading this, yet...)... then, I feel that I don't have that much that's worthwhile to say. Especially when there are 63 million 'other' people out there writing blogs, who DO think that their thoughts are special enough to spew out....

That sounds disrespectful. And it's not necessarily the case that blogs contain irrelevant stuff. In fact, I am enjoying regularly reading quite a number of blogs at the moment...(I'll tell you which ones, later).

SO...until I have clarified for myself just what it is that I am writing about, here - and who for? and WHY?... there may be some lengthy silences, here. Seems fair, to me......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace -- Why did you name your blog "Grace Under Pressure?" And you mention ballet - I've read that the Paris Opera Ballet is coming to Australia this year -- will you be going? I'm in the States and I'd love to see them!

Grace said...

hi 'number'!

as you have read, i assumed that no-one would be finding me...so what a pleasant surprise to see a comment. may i ask how you came across me?

to answer your questions: 'grace' has been my online name for many years now (about 10), so, i was looking for some kingd of play on the word grace. i tried a few, which were already taken, then tried this one, and it was available. so, that was that. but i am considering either a re-name, or a re-think as to content, since at present there is no connection between the two.

yes, POB are coming to australia's east coast, i believe - and in fact yesterday i saw an ad for extras for their performances, so it must be happening, either very soon, or now-ish. unfortunately, i live on the WEST coast, and it's a long way from one side to the other...same distance as USA coast to coast - but more expensive.

however, if i had realised in advance, that they were coming, i might have made the effort, since i don't see myself going to paris any time soon! :-(

can i ask what your connection with ballet is - are you 'just' an audience member, or somehow involved?

anyway - nice to meet you and thanks for posting.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace -- I found your blog through the One In A Million website. I thought your comment on Nicky's post a day or two ago was spot on.

I am just a ballet fan. I started out liking Contemporary - a friend has a local school and small company -- and then moved on to ballet. I read "The Winger" blog and "Ballet Talk" and really enjoy them.

Grace said...

I don't know of The Winger blog - but I'm trying to find it right now. So, if you are still reading, 'number', please enlighten me!

Thanks for your visit.

:-)

Nicky said...

Hi Grace,

I've had several blogs over the years. I think it's really good for me, as a daily exercise. Saying, as honestly as I can, what's on my mind helps me clarify my thoughts and recognize things that I need to tackle or change. It lets me see patterns where I'm getting stuck. And it helps me feel ok about things, especially when friendly readers chime in and give me feedback.

I've had anonymous blogs and non-anonymous ones. My current one is pretty anonymous, and I love that: I can be straightforward about people and situations in my life that I haven't decided what to do or say about, and not be afraid that what I write will impact those people. That makes the blog a really helpful outlet for me. I've had a more public blog that was useful to me in more professional and larger social contexts -- in fact, it brought me my future husband. So, you might not know what you'll get out of blogging until you've been doing it a while.

I recommend writing once a day until you're in the habit. Who cares if it's boring or bad? Just be honest and authentic, about what's actually on your mind. I often find that what's really on my mind comes out after a paragraph or so -- I think I'm going to write about one thing, but it turns out I am actually thinking about another one. That's okay. Just open the floodgates and discover what comes out.